Something a little different tonight. A recipe that combines stuffed bell peppers (found in the Farm stand) with a Mexican twist. This recipe is courtesy of reciperunner.com.
Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers (green, yellow or red)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 8 ounces salsa or red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby Jack or cheddar cheese
- Directions: Preheat oven to 400° F. and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise then remove the core and seeds. Place the halved peppers on the baking sheet cut side up, and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the peppers are baking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the ground turkey, onion, spices, salt and pepper. Crumble the turkey with a wooden spoon as it cooks. When the turkey is cooked through, stir in the black beans, corn, green chiles, cilantro, and salsa or enchilada sauce. Taste for seasoning, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Remove the peppers from the oven. Pour out any liquid that’s gathered inside of them, and then evenly divide the filling into each half. Bake for another 10 minutes and top them with the shredded cheese. Bake for 5 more minutes, then serve.
Goods will be open tomorrow for shopping, and raffle entries. We have made it past hump day, and are heading towards the weekend. Have a good night. See ya’ at the stand.